Vitamin C contributes to:
- Normal function of the immune system (including during and after intense physical activity)
- Normal function of the nervous system
- Normal energy-yielding metabolism
- Normal collagen formation for the normal function of blood vessels, bones, cartilage, gums, skin and teeth
- Normal psychological function
- The reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- The regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin E
- Protection of cells from oxidative stress
Vitamin C and Skin Health
In the skin, high amounts of vitamin C are found in the dermis and epidermis, which are normally transported from the bloodstream. Oral supplementation with vitamin C has been shown to increase vitamin C levels in the skin.
Vitamin C regulates the synthesis of collagen, which is responsible for the prevention of damage and wrinkling of the skin. Higher intakes of vitamin C may also decrease dry skin.
The antioxidant activity of vitamin C protects the skin from UV-induced damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin C also regulates cell signalling in skin cells and therefore increases the cell survival rate following UV exposure.
Moreover, eating a diet rich in vitamin C has been shown to reduce the size and number of skin tumors induced by chronic UV exposure.
What is Acerola and Camu-Camu?
Acerola is a fruit found in Central America and the northern part of South America. It is one of the very best natural sources of vitamin C. Aside from vitamin C, acerola contains other beneficial functional ingredients such as carotenoids, gamma-amino butyric acid and polyphenols.
Studies show that acerola supplementation reduces low-grade inflammation and decreases obesity-related defects in the lipolytic processes. Studies also show that acerola food supplementation with ripe or industrial acerola juice led to a partial reversal of the diet-induced DNA damage in the blood, kidney, liver and bone marrow.
Camu-camu is a native fruit of the Amazon region, found in Brazil. Just like acerola, it is exceptionally high in vitamin C. In comparison to oranges, camu-camu provides 30 times more vitamin C.